** The City is seeking candidates to hire a Full Time - Public Works General Laborer.
Starting hourly rate is $11.81 (per CBA Wage Scale). Monday-Friday, 7am - 3:30pm, OT eligible.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, Holidays.
Must hold and retain a minimum of Class C driver's license.
Job Description and Requirements: Public Works General Laborer
Wage Classification: Hourly
Compensation Scale: Per CBA
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Daily Reporting Location: PW Garage
All applicants must complete the City's employment application form and/or resume and return to Lisa Jordan at 100 S. Center Street / Corry PA 16407 or via firstname.lastname@example.org. Job applications forms can be found on our website, www.corrypa.gov or in person at City Hall.
This position will perform a variety of semi-skilled labor in all phases of municipal facility maintenance and repair, including but not limited to, vehicles, buildings, water, waste water treatment, waste water collection, storm sewers, parks, ball fields, roads, other equipment; performs related work as assigned.
This is an semi-skilled labor position involving aspects of the Public Works Department. The employee shall be trained and utilized in streets, property, and utility maintenance. Assigned tasks shall include but not limited to: Operation of light equipment, general equipment and trucks as a regular part of assigned duties. Employees in this class are expected to participate in unskilled labor as assigned and will involve strenuous physical activity. Persons in this classification exercise independent judgment within the scope of specific assignments as deemed appropriate by the City Manager and/or Lead Operator to which they are assigned. This position reports to the Lead Operator to which they are assigned.
Required minimum education or training: High School Diploma or GED. This classification requires the individual to hold and retain a minimum of a Class C Drivers license.
All safety and compliance training as assigned by the City shall be mandatory.
Preferred education or training: Post-Secondary Education including any formal training via recognized trade schools, military service, universities, colleges, academies, seminaries, vocational schools, or institutes of technology, or previous employers.
Role specific skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of basic construction methods, materials and terminology.
- Knowledge of basic safety precautions and practices necessary in working with hand tools, power tools, general equipment and passenger vehicles.
- Knowledge of safety principals related to traffic control, trenching and shoring, and the safety procedures for operating general equipment and power tools.
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, methods, and materials used in a variety of public works and utilities construction, maintenance and repair activities.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations and the practices followed in the care and safe operation of general equipment.
- Knowledge of the precautions necessary to work safely with and around mechanized equipment.
- Ability to exercise a certain amount of independent judgment in day to day operations.
- Ability to exercise judgment when job assignments must be modified in order to be completed.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions.
- Ability to comprehend the occupational hazards involving such work.
- Ability to be available for unscheduled and scheduled off hour work.
- Ability to be contacted by phone while off duty.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and act in a courteous and diplomatic manner with members of the public.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arm. The employee is frequently required to walk; talk or hear; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; smell, climb steps both indoor and outdoor; and climb ladders. The employee must be able to perform all the above physical activities in all types of weather conditions during all the seasons of the year. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Works in confined spaces and depths of 12 feet or more under a wide range of weather conditions.
- Works at varying heights and can perform duties at heights of 35 feet or more under a wide range of weather conditions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
Additional duties consistent with the position, may be assigned by the City.
- Operates City light and general equipment
- Under general supervision performs labor tasks related to all aspects of the Public Works Department
- Performs in a safe manner a variety of unskilled tasks requiring heavy manual labor.
- Performs unskilled labor assignments independently as assigned.
- Clear tree limbs along roads and pick up debris after storms.
- Maintain an awareness of proper safety procedures and guidelines and apply these in performing daily activities and tasks.
- Perform other tasks related to the operation and maintenance of equipment, maintenance buildings, services, and City owned properties.
- Performs minor maintenance to equipment such as, but not limited to, adding fluids and fuel, fluid and filter changes and lubrications.
- Reports any improper or deficient operating conditions of assigned equipment to the immediate supervisor.
- Responds to man-made and/or natural disasters, within the City municipal boundaries, as directed by a direct supervisor or the City Manager.
- Additional duties consistent with the position, as may be assigned by the City.
- The City will make reasonable accommodations to assist in the performance of duties when necessary to comply with the law.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures and standards of the City of Corry and pertinent federal, state, local laws relating to position functions.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance and minor field repairs such as lubrication, checking fluid levels and replacing belts and other components as required.
Work with skilled and qualified employees to participate in the construction, maintenance, and repair of public works facilities, equipment, and grounds including but not limited to:
- Raises and lowers manhole frames.
- Perform other tasks related to the operation and maintenance of the waste water treatment plant, and related equipment.
- Perform other tasks related to the operation and maintenance of the drinking water treatment plant and related equipment.
- May perform maintenance, and repairs on pumps, lift stations, generators, manholes, sewer lines and associated system components.
- Participate in the construction, maintenance, and repair of public works facilities and grounds.
- Repair road surfaces; apply and level patching materials.
- Clean, repair and install new storm sewers and catch basins.
- Repair water line breaks and assist water department in the repair and preventative maintenance of pumps, blowers, valves, hydrants and instruments.
Position utilizes the following as part of the essential duties and responsibilities:
(Light and General Equipment)
- Farm Tractors and implements
- Skid Steer –Bucket, Forks, and broom
- Compact Loader- Bucket, forks, and broom
- Sewer Jetter
- Sewer Camera
- Bucket Truck
- Power tools (gas, air, hydraulic, electric, battery)
- Air Compressors
- Pressure washers
- Pickup Trucks and Non-CDL dump trucks
- Lawn mowing and landscape equipment
- Trash pumps
The equipment listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Additional duties consistent with the position may be assigned by the City. The omission of specific statements of operations and/or equipment does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. City personnel and other contractors or individuals will be authorized to utilize equipment per City Management discretion.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Individuals may perform other duties as needed, including work in other functional areas.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity and the needs of the City. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.